Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"Perhaps life is calling you right now to find a place in yourself that reflects this divine audacity and flexible strength in the face of all odds.  Sometimes the worst of life can bring out the best in us.  It's then that we come closer to what is truly divine within."  Sufi book

I'm grateful today that my healing has not been linear, and gradually progressive without any bumps in the road.  I've seen in my life and the life of others that a quick healing often puts us right back where were in life -- the same lifestyles, habits, attitudes.  This Leukemia came into my life like a tidal wave, utterly impossible to ignore, brush off, turn away from.  It got the core of me -- my blood -- and there was only one thing to do, and that is make friends with it. Partner with it, all the while the chemo medicines were being pumped in me with nauseating regularity.  I saw it as a symphony of many parts all working together and not apart.

Maybe these efforts, along with the many prayers on my behalf prompted the doctor to tell me last night that I'm doing so well he's thinking of an early release --  next week.  Then would begin my outpatient treatment.  My bloodwork is looking better and better each day!

One little wrinkle is they've found an infection in my blook they are trying to knock out now.  They may need to remove the PICC line inserted in my arm as they think that's the culprit, and then put a new one in on Sat. for my final chemo.

My room on the third floor has a tiny little sliver of a window to look out.  I see the plumes of smoke from the Kaiser generators -- glistening in the sun, forming magnificient shapes, quite beautiful.

My 80++ year old aunt made it safely from LA yesterday and will spend part of today going through old family photos.

Am feeling extremely nauseous today!  Thank you for your prayers. 

6 comments:

  1. Heidi--You are so smart, so gutsy, so beautiful....
    and hopefully the home stretch of completing your hospital stay is in clear sight now..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your words every day, my friend, and honor your beautiful journey. Much love from Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Early realease!! Wonderful! So glad your beautiful Aunt is visiting you today! Hopefully the nausea will subside.

    The Sufi quote above is a treasure!
    "Divine audacity and flexible strength."

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to have a Great soul to make friends with Leukemia. I so look forward to hearing about your life as an outpatient! Give my love to my mother, please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Heidi,

    I love you so much!!! You are so beautiful! Sending Love Love Love, from me here on Kauai to YOU in your hospital bed in San Diego - Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tagore said, "Faith is the bird that sings for the light when the dawn is still dark".

    Heidi, your soul sings such deep and beautiful thoughts - that light (and his friends life and love) cannot resist you.

    Oh, what light through yonder window breaks!

    ReplyDelete