Wednesday, January 12, 2011

HOME FOR AWHILE

Dear friends and family,

This post will have a little more thoughtful tone.  It felt comforting to walk through the door of my house and be greeted by what has been my life for the last 10 years.  My art hangs on the walls...memories of art shows gone by and more art to come.  The silence in the house is palpable after the constant noise of the hospital....

Being alone at the moment, and feeling somewhat "outside of time" has caused me to reflect on many chapters of my life -- most notably my many years in the SRF ashram, and the years that followed.  I believe that life has a way of bringing us to deeper levels of insight.  This illness took me abruptly out of my "doer" mode and into a "being" mode where there is only my inner resources and the vast spiritual dimensions available to me.  My dear friends and family are a part of that dimension, for I feel Spirit expresses through everyone in my midst -- friend and stranger a like.  We are intricately connected.  I have experienced this more than ever in the two months I've been hospitalized.

I know it's been said before, but there is nothing quite like a catastrophic illness to point the heart, intention and deepest reflection toward what really matters in life.  I found myself grieving a bit this morning for the loss of friends in the past, abrupt endings of relationships, etc.  Part of "getting well", I feel, is being able to face (not resist) all aspects of life's experiences, past and present, and gently coming to peace.  As mentioned above, I went from doing to being in just a few days.  For those of you who know me well, you will know that I have always had more than one project going on:  art, work, editing, etc, etc.  Not having the strength (or even the mental focus at times) has put me into a completely different zone for these last 2 months.  I can see that it is by divine design, for it has brought me to the edge of being...and in the end, what else truly matters? 

I've quoted this before, but will do so again now:  "To everything that has happened up til now, thanks.  To everything that will come in the future, yes."  This quote gives me daily courage to continue saying yes to all the aspects (expected and unexpected) of this healing journey.

The spinal chemo had just a few moments of all out pain, but once the needle got into place, all was well.  Peter came and rubbed my shoulders during the procedure.  Soooo comforting.  My next course of treatment will include several more lumbar punctures and spinal chemos. Now that I know what to expect, perhaps I'll relax into it more????....

I will find out on Friday when I go back into the hospital.  Hopefully I will get one more week at home before another gruelling 3 week stay in the hosp.  After that I will be half way through!

All my love to each of you.

Heidi

  

5 comments:

  1. Heidicita, I want to visit you and take you to where ever your heart desires...my heart just burst in joy to know you are in your home. I can see you around your beautiful surroundings...so here is a quote for you ....

    It is not necessary that you leave the house. Remain at your table and listen. Do not even listen, only wait. Do not even wait, be wholly still and alone. The world will present itself to you for its unmasking, it can do no other, in ecstasy it will writhe at your feet.
    Franz Kafka

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Ana Maria Giraldez...proud mom of Rodrigo Giraldez using Rodrigo's computer

    ReplyDelete
  3. >> and more art to come <<
    that speaks volumes about your desire for life and intention to overcome this "momentary lapse", Heidi-ji.

    Love, Light & Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very dear Heidi, I hope you enjoy every moment of your time at home -- that it will be the place where you can completely let go and rest fully in the arms of your Beloved and your beloved. :)

    Even allow some tears to flow, if they well up. Learning to allow some gentle, cleansing tears to wash over my fears and anxieties -- no matter how brave or stiff upper lipped I may have tried to be -- has been a big part of my own healing journey during times of great challenge in my life.

    With loving wishes, Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi,
    Again the strength of your spirit is a challenge to us all. I'm so glad you get to have this break and some opportunity to get in touch with all that is your home. I do know what you are referring to when you say that you have been feeling "outside of time". It is not common that we have the opportunity to enter that strange space.
    Did you remember to take your pomegranate seeds home?
    Warm big hug to you, Heidi.

    David

    ReplyDelete