Saturday, January 25, 2014

On the Eve of my trip to City of Hope

I've been alone most of the day.  Peter has yet another cold.  Number 3 in the last month or so?  It is indicative of the stress we've both been under. So I'll travel to City of Hope by myself tomorrow, check in and wake up early Monday for the telltale tests that will determine my next steps.  

I love the analogy of fog.  It rolls in, covering everything. You can yell at it, blow at it, ask it politely to go away.  But there it hangs,  indifferent to your cries.  My brother, Greg, was recently in white out conditions, driving through a snow storm in Wisconsin.  Big rigs were piling up in the median on that icy day.   He couldn't see ahead even a foot.  Fortunately he came out OK.

I'm more at ease with the fog of this Leukemia journey --not knowing what's around the next corner, or the "black ice" of unexpected twists and turns.  But I must say, this week was tough.  I was skidding all over the place!  I woke up at 2 p.m. this morning in yet another atrial fibrillation, making it a total of 3 for the week. In the 7 years I've had this condition, I've never had THREE in one week.  

For some reason, I get these Afibs in a severe form and am unable to walk or eat much.  They are completely debilitating.  This, on top of the weakness from 3 plus years of chemo treatment, really did me in!  It pushed me on every level, much more than the Leukemia itself.  

I came across one of T.S. Eliot's poems today.  At first reading, I seemed not to receive the full inspiration he must have intended.  On deeper reading, Ah, yes....In the darkness shall be the light.  Hoping, loving without expectation, without directing, subtly, the outcome we desire, while at the same time remaining in the Light, strong in love, faith and hope.  Quite a paradox. 



   "I said to my soul, be still, and wait without hope, 


   for hope would be hope for the wrong thing. 

   And wait without love. For love would be love, 

   of the wrong thing. 

   Yet there is faith. 

   But the faith and the hope and the love, are all in the waiting. 

   And the darkness shall be the light 


   and the stillness the dancing."

In stillness, the dancing.   To get to that place, really get there, what an experience of Grace.  Forced to stay in bed several days this week (Afib) when my spirit so wanted to do even simple physical things (it's even hard to paint when in an A-fib) , sitting for hours in the ER hoping they could trigger my heart into it's normal rhythm, wondering if the blast cells are back  -- all of this, unfurls my fingers from the driving wheel of life and into that fog of unknowing, a  place of silence where there is peace.  I'm sure we all have some version of this journey towards peace and stillness in our own lives. Some roads we travel are steep indeed. 

 I can only pray for the perseverance to continue the "waiting" that T.S. Eliot refers to, with graciousness and humility. 

To be continued next week.  I'll let you know when the actual transplant will, hopefully, take place so those of you who are free and wish to can visualize my body accepting the donor's bone marrow!

With love and Gratitude,

Heidi

P.S.  Couldn't resist adding this sweet, little pup's very peaceful mug.

2 comments:

  1. This poem brings to mind something Sri Gyanamata wrote in God Alone:

    "Something you wrote me soon after I was taken ill has been a source of great consolation and strength to me. You referred to 'the darkness of this test.' In moments of great need these words have come to me, and in their wake followed acceptance and peace. I have wondered why. This morning I knew. It is because God is in the darkness. Dionysius the Areopagite, a Christian mystic of the fifth century, says that this darkness shines brighter than light, and that there are mysteries revealed to 'the soul that sees not.' Bless me and pray for me, that if I must dwell in darkness, it may be that divine darkness which 'He hath made His secret place.' And that I may be 'united in my higher part to Him who is wholly unintelligible, and whom, by understanding nothing, I may understand after a manner above all intelligence.'"

    The light of God is truly with you, Heidi. Thank you for sharing your sacred journey with us.

    Rita Massey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sweetheart. I loved the T.S. Eliot poem. The sublimity of abandonment, in genuine faith, being above hope and love, and existing even brighter in darkness. This is grabbing to me, too.

    It is comforting to me when I am reminded that "God has His plan for each of us." He knows what He's doing. (Oh, thank you, cause I sure don't!)

    I liked your metaphor of taking your hands off the steering wheel because I know how much you like to be in your car and drive. The unknowing walk, in the shroud of fog, is such a test of surrender!

    I love what Rita ended her comment with, and I'd like to do the same: "The light of God is truly with you, Heidi. Thank you for sharing your sacred journey with us."

    Om, peace, amen.

    Becky Lawton

    ReplyDelete