Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Celebration of Life


A small portion of my art on display
With friends at the Benefit Concert and Art Show


Music Group "Streetlight Cadence"

 
Dear Friends and Family,

I could not have imagined a more amazing Benefit Concert and Art Show Saturday night.  It was magical!  Attendance was completely FULL, the music was fantastic as I and others found ourselves helplessly tapping our feet to the beat.  We were all so moved by the fire of creativity we experienced, the wonderful precision and skill of youthful, professionally trained and lively musicians.  The creative spirit, when it's given free reign, is glorious to behold.   I felt like I was 20 years younger and among people I had known for years.   What a great celebration of life and love before going in to City of Hope.  My "adventure" begins in just a few days -- January 13!

One particularly touching moment was when a man, who purchased some of my art, gave me what I thought was his business card.  When I got home  I found that it was actually the website of the foundation he started in honor of his adorable little daughter who had passed away very suddenly.  He began a foundation in her memory to "pay it forward" to others in need.  I felt so touched to be the recipient of his commitment to his "angel."  What an inspiration to see the goodness that can come out of heartbreak.  If any of you want to check out his website, it's www.indiaphillips.com



There's a mixture of emotions as I head back into the Valley of Chemo.  My strength is finally coming back after months of radiation,  pneumonia and a cold last week.  At last I can walk up the stairs at Peter's without pulling myself up by the bannister, or crawling on my hands and knees, step by step, to the top.  It's hard to think of all this resurging strength going away....yet again.   Deep down I know I have to  give myself every opportunity of a cure.  I was recently given a book on what to expect during and after a transplant.  After reading just a few pages I decided not to read further, at least for now.  Complications (graft vs host disease, particularly) can range from from mild to severe to life-threatening.    I'd rather not have any preconceived images or notions about the potential downside of the transplant but focus every day on my body accepting and welcoming the donor's gift with gratitude!

So much of Life is completely uncertain.   But this much I know....there's a good Samaritan out there, willing to help a total stranger (me)  to live.  I hope to meet him someday and thank him for his gracious gift.  And sweetie Pete will be with me as much as possible, holding my hand and my heart as I face this next year.

So just when I was beginning to feel somewhat "normal" -- happily preparing for the art show, walking more, celebrating the holidays, here I am facing the unknown in yet another form.   As I said in the interview with Coast News:  "Leukemia is one heck of a spiritual practice" -- or something of that nature.  I go into the Valley of Chemo and the transplant itself with my lantern of faith to light my way, and the many beautiful friends and family who stay close and give me inspiration.

I am so blessed to have you all in my life.

Heidi




1 comment:

  1. We wish we could have been there Heidi. It sounds like it was a good experience. You certainly have done something right to attract so many caring, wonderful people.

    Our thoughts and hopes are with you next week, and next month, and the healing months beyond that.

    ReplyDelete