Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Update February 25th

Dear Family and Friends,,

Looking out the City of Hope window this morning I thought of the drivers stuck in heavy traffic and I actually missed the opportunity of being one of them ....driving bumper to bumper...just to DRIVE, move, stop at a local Trader Joe's....how many times I took it all for granted!  The little ordinary things of life never seemed so precious.  Soon, Dr. Stein came in my room (he's the doctor in charge of the clinical trial I'm doing) and told me they will be checking my bone marrow and spinal fluid on Friday and I'll be released on Saturday morning! The thought of the freeway is actually exciting to me now...  It will be a month since I done anything outside this hospital.

The time here has been a minefield of thoughts, feelings, reflections, being in a body that has been deeply affected, in ways known and unknown (at least right now) by so many medications.

I've been reading about this clinical trial -- BiTe (is the shortened version) -- and it is truly a blessing I got in.  Not only does it get people back in remission quickly, but it brings the cancer (or it can bring it) to a Minimal Residual Disease (or MRD) state, which makes the bone marrow transplant even more effective.   I'll have been here a month this coming Monday.  Two weeks at home and then a month back at City of Hope, unless I'm already in remission.  Then I'll possibly go directly into the transplant procedure...which is pretty grueling...more so than the BiTe trial because of GVHD.  If they still find Leukemia, will have another month at City of Hope and get retested till I come out clear.

So this year is definitely going to be marked by lots of hospital stays and skilled nurses and doctors.

Have been using my time doing lots of art and thinking of spending time in nature during the brief time I'm out of the hospital.  Speaking of art, was inspired to begin painting a baby elephant. They are adorable.   Every time I watch this video, it makes me laugh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvVpUGQdJWo&feature=youtu.be

Being confined to my room (because of low blood count) hasn't been easy.  Thank you to those who were able to come by and bring good cheer!   I'm heading toward my 4th year since my diagnosis!

Love to all!  

Heidi

2 comments:

  1. Heidi I was thinking of you a lot yesterday and today, so nice hearing from you, your voice is strong, and measured too in a certain way, thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is jj solari. i married cecily korell. we met. cecily is here. you popped into my head at noon-30 today. i said where's heidi anyone know? we found out where you are. or where you sometimes are. we want to see you. is that possible? i had to put "anonymous" as the hoop Blogger wanted me to jump through. so i am not really anonymous. OR AM I????? _____sincerely, anonymous. i mean jj. my email is whenbikersmeethumans@yahoo.com. c ecily's email is csolari00@yahoo.com. our phone is 626 4476386

    ReplyDelete